It is often the first step in addiction recovery that is the most difficult. It is often a challenge to get a person into treatment, especially if they have a hard time admitting they have a problem in the first place.

If you have a husband, dad, or friend that is caught up with a drug or alcohol addiction, you might have tried to get them to take the first step and get into treatment. If so, and if they have refused help, don’t give up on them. Sometimes it takes persistence or the right events to occur in their lives for a person to accept help. Below are a few suggestions of how to convince someone close to you that they need treatment.

  1. Have an honest conversation. The person you care about is not going to know how you feel about their issue if you don’t speak up and tell them. Let them know you are concerned and that you think they need help. Lay out the issue honestly; tell them how their addiction is affecting their family and those around them. Show them the consequences of their choices in an objective, non-accusing way, so as not to make them defensive. Then, make it clear that you care and want what’s best for all those involved.
  2. Draw the line. Don’t let a husband, dad, or friend continue to drag you and others down with their addiction. Set boundaries and then stick to them. Don’t enable or make excuses for the person that would allow them to stay in their addiction. If you give an ultimatum, follow through so that they cannot use your indecision against you.
  3. Get professional help. If your loved one won’t get help after hearing your concerns, consider getting help from a professional. An interventionist can help families talk to their loved one in a calm, constructive way. A professional can also lay out treatment options for your loved one, so that if they accept help, treatment can start right away. My Recovery Helper can help connect you to a professional interventionist and treatment options that are right for your loved one. Give us a call at 844.867.6835 to find out more.
  4. Take care of your needs. Finally, you can’t control what someone else does or does not do. If you are unable to convince your husband, dad, or friend they need help, you can still at least help yourself. Find counseling or a support group like Alcoholics Anonymous that will help you deal with your issues, stop enabling, and interact positively with your loved one.

My Recovery Helper is a valuable resource for those who have a loved one who needs treatment. We connect families with treatment options and other services to get them on the right path to recovery. Call us at 844.867.6835 today for help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *